Friday 11 July 2008

Our Irish Summer

Let me be clear, I like a long hot summer as much as anyone does. I also like the smell of freshly mown grass, the hum of flies in the bushes, the brilliant blue of water on a sunny day and of course the pleasant sensation of heat. I like all these things, but I am getting a little tired of the current fashion of complaining about this year's weather.

Is it really as bad as we make out? I am the glass half full man and I see as my duty to examine, where necessary, the positive aspects of any situation. So let me begin. Well there are a few positive things that we will all benefit from due to the lack of sunshine this year. Number one; we will avoid getting sunburned, especially at GAA matches in July. Number two; we will eat less ice cream and therefore put on less weight. Number three; we will not sweat as much either when walking or exercising.

Now you may scoff at these as being minor pluses on an otherwise negative balance sheet, but I beg to differ. I believe they are significant positive benefits to a wettish summer. The fourth major positive aspect to our current weather that I have not mentioned is water availability. In short there will be no drought this year. No parched lawns or flowerbeds begging for a drop of moisture. No hosepipe bans. This year you can wash your car (and everything else with the power washer to your heart's content). So away with negativity and lets get some balance on the topic, please. All I ask is that you consider some positive aspects as well as all the negative ones. That's all, because the old saying is true. Every cloud really does have a silver lining. So until next time, try and look at the glass and see the liquid still in it, instead of noticing what is missing.

1 comment:

Philip said...

Sounds like the glass may be getting fuller - with water from all that rain.